Tuesday, July 08, 2014

City Matters: City Giving: Why you don’t need to be rich to be involved in philanthropy | City A.M.

City Matters: City Giving: Why you don’t need to be rich to be involved in philanthropy | City A.M.: IN A slight diversion from my usual working day, I will be spending a good portion of this Friday judging cupcakes. Why? For the first ever City’s Giving Day.

This inaugural event will showcase a whole spectrum of opportunities to get involved in giving – in addition to cupcake competitions and sponsored swims. The philanthropic side of my role as lord mayor is something I am hugely passionate about, and given the phenomenal popularity of charitable events throughout the City and beyond, I know this is also close to the hearts of many Londoners.

Despite this, a new study by Cass Business School and the University of Bristol shows that we are still only giving 0.4 per cent of our total spending to charity – the same as in 1978. I know that, collectively, we can do more; both financially and in other ways. Anyone can be part of the movement to give, regardless of their wealth or position.

No comments: